It is easy to feel overwhelmed by all the decisions that go into buying a new home. After all, a home is a big purchase that you will have for many years to come. With all there is to consider, don't forget the one question most important for home buying success: Can I afford it?
When deciding on an affordable mortgage payment, factors such as taxes, insurance, and other expenses should be included.
Lenders typically base mortgage decisions on these five factors:
- Income Stability - Income that can be verified and has a two-year history
- Debt-to-Income Ratio - Lenders prefer that the proportion of your combined debt and housing expense be no more than 36% of your income
- Loan to value - Lenders often like to see your loan amount at 80% of the value of your property or less
- Property Appraisal - A professional assessment of your property worth
- Credit History - A report of your payments habits that the lender will review
WHAT IS YOUR HOME BUDGET?
When buying a home, you need to have your budget in mind and know what kind of monthly payment you would feel financially comfortable with. Be sure to consider your desired lifestyle. Whether it is a yearly family vacation or private education, you don't want to sacrifice the quality of your life just to funnel as much cash as possible into a single financial goal.
What kind of home are you looking for? It may be helpful to make a list of your must-haves, e.g., three bedrooms, two baths, etc, and also make a list of features you want in your new home. A list will help you stay focused and ensure you get the home you need at a price that's right for you.
OUR REALTORS® ARE HERE TO HELP YOU
As your Warsaw, Indiana real estate experts, the Realtors® of Brian Peterson Real Estate know that it can be quite a challenge to find the home of your dreams while keeping within your budget. There are many factors to consider, so call our professional team and let us help you take the guesswork out of home buying.